Missouri Southern State University has modified its operations to protect the health and well-being of our students, faculty, staff and the community due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
We continue to partner with regional and national health officials and emergency management organizations to respond to evolving circumstances.
President’s Council is striving to provide the information you need to keep learning, teaching and working.
On March 23, Missouri Southern issued the following updates:
Closures and postponements
- Campus buildings closed effective today, March 23, through May 11. Faculty and staff will work from home until that date or further notice.
- All employees – full-time, part-time and adjunct – will be paid normal wages during this time period.
- All campus buildings will be locked (except the computer lab in the Anderson Criminal Justice Center, which will remain open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday); however, faculty and staff who need to access materials in their office or labs are allowed to do so at their discretion.
Classes and academics
- Online classes have been extended through the end of the semester, including finals. No face-to-face instruction will take place for the remainder of semester.
- To ensure every student has access to WIFI and computers, a computer lab in Criminal Justice will be open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- All students living in campus student housing are required to check out by Friday, March 27.
- Students who do not have access to alternate housing may request to stay by contacting Residence Life staff at email@example.com.
- Refunds for housing will be pro-rated from the day of check out.
Business operations and support
- Faculty and staff should work from home through May 11. No one should work on campus unless specifically notified by a President’s Council member.
- As of today, March 23, only the following staff are authorized to work on campus: UPD, mechanical maintenance, IT staff, residence hall staff, testing staff, custodial staff for CJ only, campus operator, grounds, Lion Cub Academy (for deep cleaning only), and a staff to monitor the computer lab in CJ.
- Additional compensation will be provided for employees required to work on campus during closure.
- Staff should leave an outgoing voice message on their desk phone informing callers the buildings are closed and asking callers to email for faster service. Also add, “For immediate service, call 417-625-9300.” The main number will be staffed by an operator.
- Student workers will be paid based on their normal weekly hours through the end of the semester.
- There will be no mail service while campus is closed. President’s Cabinet members will be given access to time-sensitive mail for action.
- If staff working from home don’t have a work or personal laptop, home computer, and/or Internet access, a limited number of laptops and hotspots are available through IT. This request must be made by the appropriate President’s Cabinet member.
- ACTS will continue to provide mental health counseling and student advising through an online platform. For advising questions email firstname.lastname@example.org and for counseling appointments please email email@example.com.
- The Willcoxon Health Center will be open through Friday, March 27. After that, health center staff will be available through an online platform. Contact 417-625-9323 for additional information.
For additional information, please visit Missouri Southern’s recently established COVID-19 resource page – www.mssu.edu/COVID-19.